Thursday, April 23, 2009

Christian Research Journal - Burning Obsession: Examining Postmodern Spirituality at Burning Man

At least a year ago I was interviewed by Steve Rabey, a freelance writer who was researching Burning Man Festival for an article in Christian Research Journal. After a while I was wondering if the piece would ever be published, and since that time I have written critically of two articles in the Journal, including an article on evangelical-Mormon dialogue, and most recently an article on cyberspace. These critical posts of mine made me wonder whether the editor of the Journal would be comfortable incorporating my research and conclusions on Burning Man in their publication.

Yesterday during my time at Barnes & Noble I received a pleasant surprise at the magazine rack with Christian Research Journal, Vol. 32, No. 01 (2009) with the article "Burning Obsession: Examining Postmodern Spirituality at Burning Man" found on pages 20-29. The article provides a good and balanced description of Burning Man, and it references my M.A. thesis on the alternative cultural event. The article also includes a few quotations from me given during my interview with Rabey. Overall I am pleased with how this article was done in a conservative evangelical journal devoted in part to apologetic interaction with aspects of contemporary culture.

For those interested in reading my thesis, "Burning Man Festival as Life-Enhancing, Post-Christendom 'Middle Way'", it has now been published through Lambert Academic Publishing as a pricey academic title available through Amazon at this link. Readers might also benefit from an interview I gave with Ian Mobsby on this topic.

No comments: